Locals seek compensation
PAMPORE: In a shocking incident, a cow died due to electrocution at Befina area of Saffron town Pampore in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
The incident happened on Sunday evening when a cow was passing in a residential area at Befina village and came in contact with an electric transformer and died on spot, locals said.
Residents of the Befina area allege Power Development Department (PDD) for posing a risk to their lives and property by installing a transformer near to the ground.
Mehraj ud Din, a local of Befina village, told Kashmir Reader that the transformer has been installed only 2 feet above the ground.
“The electric wires are quite in reach of passersby, it poses a threat to our lives,” he said, adding that they had appealed to officials of PDD installing the transformer on a height for safety of villagers but they paid no heed to their pleas.
He told Kashmir Reader that a milk yielding cow was electrocuted to death on the previous Sunday evening after the cow came in contact with an electric wire hanging from the transformer.
“I am a poor man and have daughters to look after, the cow was sole source of earning for my family, the negligence of concerned PDD officials snatched my livelihood,” Ghulam Hassan Dar told Kashmir Reader.
The locals informed Kashmir Reader that Dar has some health issues and he was earning his livelihood by selling the milk of his cow. They appealed to authorities for compensating him for the loss and also urged PDD officials to place the transformer at a safe height.
Soon after the incident, a party of police from police station Pampore visited the spot and took necessary action.