Srinagar: A double-story building caught fire due to a ‘short circuit’ as a result of which six shops in the ground floor were completely damaged, at Chan Mohalla Chattabal in interior area of Srinagar last night, a spokesman of the fire and emergency services said.
The fire broke out around 10.30 PM and engulfed the double story building but prompt action by firemen saved it from spreading to adjacent buildings. However, six shops in the ground floor were completely damaged in the fire, the spokesman said.
He said property worth around Rs.10 lakh was destroyed in the fire.
The victims, however, did not agree with the statement of firemen and said they suffered huge losses in the fire. “Most of the shopkeepers were dealing with leather. We had huge stocks of leather goods and raw material in the shops which was consumed by the fire. We are on the roads”, one of the victim, Habibullah Dar told Kashmir Wire.
The shopkeepers were seen collecting the half burnt articles from the site of the fire. (Kashmir Wire)