Eerie calm prevailed outside BSF camp at Humhama

An uncanny calm prevailed in the wee hours on Tuesday morning outside the Border Security Force (BSF), camp here at Humhama where three Jasih-e-Muhammad militants carried out a ‘Fidayeen attack’.

The vital Srinagar Airport road, which usually remains abuzz with commuters, especially the passengers who have to travel to other places via Air, witnessed a deadly silence amid the gunshots that started at pre-dawn today.

The road remained under a thick security blanket since the wee hours of the morning. The armored vehicles were seen plying on the road while the public vehicles were disallowed towards Srinagar Airport to ensure their safety.

The gunshots since the wee hours of the morning created panic among the locals here who had no information about the fidayeen attack.

Earlier on Monday evening, the locals said that the movement of ‘three Burqa clad women’ who they presumed as thieves were witnessed in the area, following which an announcement was made on Masjid loudspeaker, asking locals to come out to nab them.  “We failed to nab the Burqa clad women,” the locals said.

After the announcement, the Police as per the locals made three to four rounds in the area to trace the Burqa clad women whose movement was witnessed in the late evening hours. Police also failed to nab the ‘thieves’, they said.

Recalling the scene today, the locals said that they heard some gunshots, which created panic among them, saying that nobody dared to venture out from his house to see the happenings around.

During the ongoing fidayeen attack, the witnesses said there was a steep slump in the panic at around 09:00am as the locals were seen buying essentials like bread, milk and other things.

The militant attack also resulted in the hardships to the passengers who had to travel to other places via Air.

The passengers said that due to the uncertainty outside the Airport, several passengers failed to catch their flight.

The Police officials at main Chowk Humhama had erected barricades where they were stopping the passengers vehicles as precautionary measures.

The passengers had to spent almost three hours in the main market while some among them returned their home.

“We were disallowed to move towards the Airport for almost three hours. Later, at around 09:30 am, the police officials allowed us to move,” Muhammad Salim, a passenger informed Kashmir Vision.

Sources informed that the Air traffic was also suspended for a few hours following the attack. The traffic was later resumed by the Airport authorities.

However, the Inspector general of Police (IGP) Kashmir Range, Munir Ahmad Khan while addressing a presser here at GO’s mess said that only one flight coming from Delhi to Srinagar was delayed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.