Braid cutting: Locals accuse army of rescuing culprit


As the locals in the entire South Kashmir belt are grappling with the chaos and terror spread due to the braid cutting incidents, locals from Chimar hamlet of Kulgam district Wednesday alleged that Army rescued a criminal after he chopped off the braid of a native girl.

According to locals, a criminal entered into the secluded house of one Nazir Ahmed Khan and chopped off the hair of her daughter Reenu Jan.

“Shortly after the incidents, locals captured the culprit but to our shock, army men emerged within no time and resorted to aerial firing. A civilian Zakir Ahmed Laway son of Muhammad Maqbool was wounded and referred to Srinagar hospital. The army after resorting to firing rescued the criminal and took him along with them,” a group of villagers told local news gathering agency CNS.

The agitated locals hit the roads after the incident and pelted stones on government forces. The clashes left many people wounded. As per locals, the government forces used tear-smoke shells to disperse the protesters who shouted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.

The clashes between protesters and the government forces created panic in the area. On the directions of Chief Education Officer Kulgam, the Government High School was closed down for the day due to uncertain situation, an official said.

Reports said that protesters continued to protest demanding through investigation into the matter and registration of case against Army for rescuing the criminal responsible for the braid chopping act.

Pertinently, same allegations were leveled by locals on Army in Malwan village of the district.

Meanwhile, at Yamrach village of the same district, the braid of a young girl was chopped off during mid-night hours of Tuesday. The victim has been identified as Mahroofa jan daughter of Ghulam Ahmed Ganaie.

When contacted, a top police official from the district denied the reports that anybody has suffered any injury. He added that a hoax was created to malign the image of army. “After the incident, we asked people to record their statements but nobody came forward,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.