Exploring the profound spiritual insights of a 14th-century Sufi saint’s treatise on Islamic mysticism
Mir Syed Ali Hamdani (RA), also known as Shah-e-Hamdan (RA), a 14th-century Sufi Saint, Scholar, and missionary who played a significant role in spreading Islam in Kashmir. Scholars generally acknowledge his contributions to the cultural, economic and religious landscape of the region. His efforts in promoting Islamic Sufism and Islamic teachings are often praised, and he is considered a revered figure in the history of Kashmir.
Mir Syed Ali Hamdani (RA) was a prolific writer and his works primarily focused on pure Islamic philosophy, spirituality and Islamic Sufi teachings. Among his notable works include;
“Risala Dar Haqiqate-Tariqat” – Treatise on the essence of the Sufi Path. This work is a profound treatise that delves into the core principles of the Sufi Path, offering insight into the mystical aspects of Islamic spirituality and the transformative journey towards Allah. In this comprehension exploration, the Sufi saint provides a nuanced understanding of the essence of Tariqat (the Sufi Path) and the profound experiences encountered on the spiritual quest. It includes the following chapters and reflects its essence;
1. The first chapter speaks about the essence of the Sufi path. Mir Syed Ali Hamdani (RA) elucidates the foundational elements of the Sufi path, emphasising that it goes beyond mere rituals and encompasses a deep personal connection with Allah. The treatise underscores the inner dimensions of Islam and Islamic Sufism, focusing on the purification of the Soul and the pursuit of divine closeness.
2. The Second chapter of this treatise throws light on the mystical aspects of spirituality. Here he delves into the mystical dimensions of Islamic spirituality, exploring concepts such as FANA (annihilation in Allah) and BAQA (subsistence in Allah). He shed light on the transformative experiences that Sufis undergo in their pursuit of spiritual enlightenment.
3. The third chapter of the treatise discusses the journey towards Allah. It provides a roadmap for the spiritual journey towards Allah and outlines the stages of the Sufi path, emphasizing the importance of self-discipline, devotion, and supplication in reaching higher stages of consciousness and closeness to the divine(Allah).
4. Purification of the soul is an important aspect of the Sufi path. Mir Syed Ali Hamdani (RA) discusses this in the fourth chapter of his Resala Dar Haqiqat-e-Tariqah (Treatise of the Sufi Path). He discusses how the purification of the soul (Tazkiyah Nafs) can be attained in various spiritual practices, including Zhikr (remembrance of Allah) and meditation.
5. Surrender and submission before Allah are important in Islam so is in Sufi path. Mir Syed Ali Hamdani (RA) emphasizes the importance of humility, detachment from worldly desires and absolute reliance on divine guidance in traversing the spiritual journey, in the fifth chapter of the treatise.
6. The sixth and last chapter of this research is very important as it speaks about the core and central theme of the Islamic belief and Sufic philosophy i.e. (Wahdat-ul-Wajuud) the Unity of Being. The treatise discusses how Sufis perceive the divine presence in all aspects of creation, fostering a deep sense of interconnectedness and spiritual unity.
Risala Dar Haqiqat-e-Tariqat serves as a profound guide for divine seekers, offering insights into the Islamic mystical dimensions of Islamic Spirituality. Mir Syed Ali Hamdani’s (RA) treatise encourages seekers to embark on a transformative journey of self-discovery, leading to a profound connection with the divine (Allah).
The writer is pursuing a PhD in Sufism and Sufic terminology. He can be reached at [email protected]