2 LeT militants killed in Shopian

Shopian: In a brief encounter at Khojpora village of Shopian, government forces kill two LeT militants, both identified as locals.

The gunfight raged when a joint team of government forces including 1 Rashtriya Rifles of army, Jammu and police and 178 battalion central reserve police force launched a cordon and search operation in Khojpora village of Shopian some 18 kilometers from district headquarter of Shopian. Police sources said that when the search party headed towards the suspected spot, the hiding militants opened fire on forces party ensuing into an encounter.

Monday encounter was second encounter of this year and since August 5 last year. Earlier two militants were killed at Wachi village of the district on 21 January of this year.

Amir Ahmad Dar son of Ghulam Muhammad Dar resident of Wandnoo in Wachi belt of district. He according to family sources had joined militants ranks on 28 August 2019. He has left behind two brothers, three sisters and mother.

His father Ghulam Muhammad according to locals has died some five years ago. They said that Dar was after leaving studies in 12th, was helping his elder brother to meets the ends.

Second militant was identified by police as Shabir Ahmad Malik (Abu Maviya) son of Abdul Ahad Malik, had joined joined militants in December 2017. He was was 24. He has left two sisters, brother and mother-father. He was resident of Tungdan village of district Kulgam.

Police in a statement said that on intervening night of 8-9, inputs about the presence of militants was received by forces and a cordon and search operation launched soon. They said that two militants were killed in the encounter.

During the search of the encounter site 01 AK -47, 01 UBGL, 01 AK-47 magazine, 01 Chinese 5 pistol, 01 magazine of Chinese pistol and 05(No’s) 9 mm live rounds were recovered from the encounter, police statement further reads.

Police also said that Shabir was a Pakistan trained militant and was involved in many cases by the police. They issued an advisory. “Don’t venture to the encounter site till it will be fully sanitised from explosives, if any”.

Low speed, 2G Internet services were also barred in the district for almost six hours in the day. Mild protests according to locals were also witnessed when forces were concluding the operation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.