Police arrests social activist who was seeking justice for minor Kathua girl

Jammu:  Social activist, who was at the forefront of demonstrations, seeking justice for 8-year-old allegedly ‘raped’ and murdered in Kathua district last week, was arrested by police.

Reports reaching news agency GNS said that Advocate Talib Hussain was arrested on Sunday evening amid a candle light protest on Kathua highway by over hundred people against the brutal killing of the minor girl–Asifa Bano.

“We had staged a peaceful candle light protest on the highway, seeking justice for the murdered girl last evening”, a relative of the victim said.

He said that as the protesters were lighting candles, the police deployed in the area fired tear smoke shells and used lathi charge, resulting in injuries to at least four persons. One of the injured was shifted to JMC, he said.

Inspector General of Police (IGP), Jammu S D Singh Jamwal told GNS that Talib was creating ‘law and order’ problem on the national highway and as such he was arrested.

“He had blocked the highway for three to four hours and was creating law and order problem in the area”, he said. When asked reasons for resorting to baton charge and tear smoke shells against the demonstrators, the IGP said: “There was actually stone pelting as a result of which four of our personnel were injured and as such we had to take measures to control it.”

The minor girl, found dead near her native village Rassana in Hiranagar on Jan 17, had been missing since January 10 when she had taken some horses for watering in the neighborhood.

Ever since the incident which shocked people across the Jammu and Kashmir state, Talib Hussain remained at the forefront of protests, seeking justice for the minor girl.

The incident rocked state assembly also and opposition demanded action against police officers for not moving in swift manner. While government said that it has suspended concerned SHO, the opposition has questioned complexity of police. They also raised fingers on police’s claim that only one accused, a 15-year-old, carried the brutal incident, insisting that how the juvenile could dump the body all alone.

The opposition legislators also alleged that police was trying to save others who might have helped the minor accused and were trying to hush-up the matter.

Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Sunday termed the killing of the young girl as heart wrenching and said that government has already constituted a special investigation team to probe the case. (GNS)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.