Clashes, protests left two people injured in Srinagar

Two youth sustained critical injuries during clashes that erupted at Nowhatta area of old city after Friday prayers.

According to eyewitnesses, groups of youth resorted to stone-pelting on government forces after Friday prayers. They said police used tear gas and pellets against stone-throwers during which two youth identified as Sajad Hussain and Mudasir Beigh were hit, leaving them wounded.

Sources said the youth were shifted to SMHS hospital for treatment where the condition of both is said to be critical.

Mudasir, according to the reports, was hit by pellets and a tear smoke shell in his head. Hospital sources said that Sajad Hussain was hit by a shell in his head.

Meanwhile, protests erupted in north Kashmir’s Sopore town followed by clashes between government forces and youth.

Witnesses said that soon after Friday congregational prayers youth took to streets at old Jamia Masjid area of Sopore town and started protests.

The protesters were shouting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. Meanwhile, some youths started pelting stones on forces already deployed at main chowk area of town.

The forces retaliated by lobbing some tear gas shells to disperse the protestors thus triggering clashes in the area. However, there was no report of causalities on either side.

Pertinently, Sopore today observed a complete shutdown against the killing of militant commander Abdul Qayoom Najar in an encounter near the line of control Uri Baramulla on Tuesday.

Reports said a complete strike was observed in the native area of the slain militant on third consecutive day. All business establishments and shops remained closed in town while transport is plying thin on roads.

However, authorities have imposed restrictions in some parts of town on Friday including at Main chowk, Tehsil road, Batpora chowk and Chankhan area to prevent any untoward incidents.

Notably, in Shopian, forces resorted to aerial firing on Friday afternoon after youth pelted stones on their vehicles.

According to the sources, as soon as army vehicles reached old bus stand in Shopian, youth present in the atrea started pelting stones on them which was retaliated by the forces with aerial firing to disperse the protesters.

Sources added that after aerial firing many locals were beaten and one youth was also arrested.  However, the situation soon became normal in the area, sources added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.