Concerned over the state’s ‘flawed policies and abject failure’ to control the violence in the early days of the aftermath of Hizbul commander Burhan wani’s killing, the BJP led Central government may ask Governor NN Vohra to oversee the combat operation in the strife torn valley, a South Asian terrorism Portal (SATP) report said.
Notably, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, who also holds Home portfolio and heads the unified headquarters of security agencies, including the Army, will be kept in the loop only when the agencies take on militants in an encounter.
The assessment report by web portal blames state’s flawed policies and abject failure of the state to control the violence in the aftermath of the Burhan’s killing.
Meanwhile, according to the SATP, the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has reportedly come up with a three-fold plan to eradicate militancy in the State. The plan includes launch of an offensive on militants, keeping tabs on journalists and writers who ‘inflame the situation’, and tightening the grip on separatists.
The MHA plan has its origin from the fact that at least 115 youths have joined militant ranks in the past 12 months. While as the police last week, in a statement, said that 54 youths were prevented by them to join militancy.
88 locals reportedly joined militant ranks in 2016, mostly after the killing of Burhan Wani, and another 27 are believed to have already joined militants in 2017 (till July 3, 2017).
On May 8, Inspector General of Police told media persons that there are 90 foreign militants active in the Valley.
Meanwhile, police last week claimed to have arrested as many as 54 youth who attempted to join militancy in the last 12 months.
“As many as 54 youth have been arrested from different districts of Kashmir over the past few months. The arrests foiled their attempts to join militancy, thereby saving 54 families getting adversely affected by the militancy,” a police spokesman told media in a statement issued here.
According to South Asian Terrorism portal, there have been 169 terrorism-related incidents in 2017, as compared to 126 in the corresponding period of 2016.
The assessment report titled ‘Jammu and Kashmir: Salvaging Order’ states that Incidents of explosion and resultant fatalities have increased from 14 and none in 2016 (data till July 9, 2016) to 24 and five respectively in 2017 (till July 9, 2017).
According to report, there have been 142 ‘law and order incidents’ in 2017 (till June 30). In July 2016 alone, there were 820 such incidents. On December 19, 2016, the then Director General of Police (Law and Order) Shesh Pal Vaid had disclosed that a total of 2,380 ‘law and order incidents’ had been reported during the ‘Kashmir unrest’, commencing July 8, 2016.
Of these, at least 820 incidents were reported in July, declining to 747 in August, 535 in September, 179 in October, 73 in November and just 25 during the first 19 days of December.