Survivors, relatives recount encounter ‘horror’


Several persons, grievously injured with bullets were shifted to Srinagar’s SMHS and SKIMS, after protests erupted during an encounter that raged in Dialgam area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district, for specialized treatment, where all are said to be stable.

Scenes in and around emergency operation theatre at SKIMS and SMHS were emotional, with relatives of injured praying for the recovery and wellbeing of their dear ones.

Yasir Ahmad (22), a resident of Dailgam, Anantnag was also injured in his left leg when bullet hit him when he was running for a safe place when protests rocked his area during the encounter that was then going on. 

As per doctors, who were attending Yasir said that his main artery, supplying blood to his leg has been severely damaged, “his artery has been severely damaged due to the bullet, we are still operating him, let’s see, what happens,” said a doctor at SKIMS.

Yasir’s father, Fayaz Ahmad, was visibly, yet to recover from the shock that his son has been hit, and was not in a position to speak about the incident. Sitting on a chair supporting his face with his hand, and tears rolling down his face, when this reporter tried to talk to him, he said “I don’t know what to talk about it, I can’t talk right now,” asking this reporter to go away politely.

Doctors present in the emergency operation theatre said that they received two fresh fire arm injuries, both hit in their legs, “we received two patients, and we are operating on them. In addition to this, one more was brought here, but he was brought dead.”

Shadab Ahmad Chopan of Dailgam was brought dead to SKIMS and was hit in his neck, “he has serious injuries due to fire arm and was brought dead to the hospital,” said a doctor on duty. Moreover, a lady, identified as Tahira was also killed when a bullet pierced through his back, killing her instantly, during the day.

Junaid Ahmad Tantray (17) from Dialgam was shifted to SMHS on Saturday afternoon, when a bullet hit him in his shoulder, “he is being operated and is said to be stable,” said one of Junaid’s relative.

“He was not part of any protests that were on in our area, I really don’t know what prompted them (forces) to shoot Junaid,” he said.

In total, at around 6 patients with bullet injuries were brought to different Srinagar hospitals, with eye witnesses saying that the bullets that were fired were uncalled for and could have been avoided, “if they could have fired tear smoke shells, the protestors would have dispersed, there really was not any need to fire bullets,” said Abdul Qayoom, a resident of Dailgam.

What is more interesting is that the hospitals did not receive any pellet injury or any injured caused by tear shells, the injuries that were usually received, what happened today was contrary to the norm and what was received, were the fire arm injuries and a single case of where a passerby was ruthlessly beaten by the forces. The youth was admitted in SKIMS.

A gunfight between militants and forces broke out in Dialgam area of Anantnag district early on Saturday morning, where two militants- Bashir Lashkari alias Abu Ukasha and another militant believed to a foreigner were trapped. The encounter ended with the killing of both the militants, when government forces razed the residential house they were trapped in, to the ground.

Lashkari, as per Police sources said, was involved in the killing of six police personnel, including SHO Feroz Dar in an ambush in Achabal area of the district.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.