PAMPORE: After eight days of hard work, employees of Wildlife department and forest department range Pampore contained a major fire across four beats at Khrew forest in Pampore area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
The fire had erupted on 4 of April 2022 and spread to Wahab Sahab, Khudalaw, Batdalaw and Zantrag falling in wildlife Range Khrew and forest range Pampore.
During the week-long fire fighting operation many employees of these departments were injured and others received burn injuries, officials told Kashmir Reader.
During the holy month of Ramadan, the employees are countering a temperature to save the green gold. The hard work of the employees bore fruits as they succeeded in controlling the fire.
Talking to Kashmir Reader Ranger at fire spot Wildlife Range Khrew, Khursheed Ahmad said that they have controlled more than 70 per cent of the fire and by evening they will be completely contained.
” The fire erupted on April 4 at around 5:00 PM in forest area of Pastuna Tral where from it spread to Wahab Sahab beat,” he said, adding that soon the employees of joint control room, employees of Forest and wildlife department including casual labourers started the fire fighting operation and after their strenuous efforts the fire was set off in two beats at that day.
He added that they controlled fire in Bat Dalaw beat today.
He further said that the whole fire fighting operation was launched by them without any water.
“The fire was controlled with bare hands and sticks,” he said, adding that many of the employees were injured in the fire fighting operation.
He told Kashmir Reader that they were able to save green trees from any damage.
” No harm was caused to the green trees, only grass, bushes and decomposed wood were destroyed by the fire,” he said.
He said that they are on the job to contain the fire.
“Almost 70 per cent of the fire was contained and the rest 30 per cent will be controlled by today evening,” he said.
The employees of the department demanded that they be provided with safety kits to equip them in fire fighting operations.