Firing along LoC, border areas of Jammu continues for seventh day; 2 injured

Firing along LoC, border areas of Jammu continues for seventh day; 2 injured

Jammu: Indian and Pakistani troops manning the LoC and Border areas in Jammu exchanged fire for the seventh consecutive day.
The officials said that with two civilians got injured by firing from Pakistan troops.

Pakistan started firing small arms and mortar shells in Qasba and Kirni sectors at 1.40 pm, inviting a strong and effective retaliation by the Indian Army, a defence spokesman said.

The cross-border firing was still going on, according to latest reports.

Pakistan has repeatedly violated ceasefire for a week despite the challenges faced by the two countries due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Mohammad Shoukat, 28, received splinter injuries when a mortar shell exploded near his house in Qasba sector and he had to be shifted to Poonch district hospital for treatment, the officials said.

A live mortar bomb, which failed to explode during heavy Pakistan shelling in Balakote sector, was destroyed by Indian Army experts.

Saleema Bi, 45, a resident of Lanjout village, received splinter injuries late Saturday night. She was rescued by a joint team of Army, police personnel and health workers amid intense shelling and admitted to a hospital where she is stable now, the officials said.

Balakote and Mendhar sectors witnessed heavy firing and shelling for several hours Saturday night. Several houses were damaged in the Pakistani shelling, they said.

Hiranagar sector along border in Kathua district of Jammu region was also rocked by a heavy exchange of fire between Pakistani and India troops throughout the night.

Pakistan initiated the ceasefire violation by firing on three forward areas in Karol Matrai, Faqeera and Chandwa around 9pm, drawing retaliation by the BSF guarding the IB. Pakistan used mortars to target the posts and villages, causing panic among the border residents who took shelter in underground bunkers.

Two cows were also hit and medical teams attended to them after the firing stopped around 4 am.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.