Amid tears and sobs, slain HM militant laid to rest  


Pulwama: Amid restrictions, thousands of people on Saturday participated in the funeral prayers of a slain militant who was killed in an encounter that raged between forces and militants in Kangan area in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Friday evening.

Witnesses said that strict restrictions were imposed by the district administration to thwart any possible protest against the death of the militant.

They said that all the entry and exist points were sealed, while concertina wires were put up at many areas to stop people from attending the militant’s funeral.

Sources said that defying the restrictions thousands of people from different areas including Awantipora, Tral, Pampore and other areas of converged at Pulwama to attend the funeral prayers of the slain militant.

They also staged protest and chanted anti India and pro-freedom slogans.

Witnesses added that at around 10:30 am, a funeral prayer was held at the Government Boys Higher Secondary School Pulwama in which thousands of people participated.

Later, the body of a slain militant was taken from Dalipora area to the nearby Martyrs graveyard at Main town Pulwama.

Eyewitnesses said that the militants also offered gun salute to their slain colleague near higher secondary ground.

“Militants offered gun salute to their slain colleague yesterday evening near his house as well,” they added.

Sources further said that amid tears, sobs, Musavir was laid to rest at Martyrs graveyard in Pulwama.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces at various places in the town.

Witnesses said that forces fired teargas shells and pellets on agitating youth who were hurling stones at them.

In the clashes which continued for many hours, at least six people, received injuries, among them one was shifted to Srinagar.

Pertinently, Musavir Ahmad, a B tech pass out was killed in a brief encounter in orchards of Kangan area on Friday evening following which situation turned volatile in Pulwama and its adjacent areas.

Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed in Pulwama to mourn the death of a militant. All the business establishments including schools remained closed in the area.

Pertinently, Shopian and Pulwama districts continued to remain shut from last seven days against the militant and civilian killings on Sunday last.

Notably, normalcy returned in Kulgam district after remaining shut for six consecutive days.

Meanwhile, mobile internet services continued to remain suspended in Shopian and Pulwama from last seven days. However, 2G internet services were restored in Kulgam after six days. Train services between Banihal-Srinagar also remained suspended.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.