Student protests erupt across Srinagar colleges

Srinagar: The Students of Government Degree College, Bemina, Amar Singh College, Womens College in Srinagar and Government Degree College Sumbal in Bandipora,  Thursday held protests soon after they re-opened after four-day closure over Shopian civilian and militant killings.

According to reports, scores of students assembled at the Bemina Degree College and tried to take out a protest rally however forces deployed outside the college intercepted them.

Meanwhile,  students of Amar Singh College also tried to take out a protest demonstration outside the college premises, however, police foiled their attempt.

Similarly, students of Kashmir University also staged massive protests on the campus  against the recent Kashmir killings.

According to eye witnesses, scores of students from various departments assembled and  marched in University campus while shouting  anti-government, pro-Azadi and anti-India slogans.

The protesting students carried banners reading, ‘Stop Genocide’, Free Kashmir’ ‘Stop killings’.

Notably, the University was opened today after four days of suspension of classwork following the killings of 13 militants and four civilians in south Kashmir on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Students of Government Degree College Handwara in North Kashmir also held protests.

Reports said that the students of GDC Handwara tried to come out of the college premises and take out a march, however they were intercepted by police,  resulting in clashes in the area.

Raising pro-freedom and anti-India slogans the protesting students pelted rocks at forces however, the forces who in turn lobbed tear gas shells to disperse them.

Similarly, Pattan degree college students also protests against recent killings, while in Higher Secondary School Pattan class work was been suspended after students protests erupted.

Meanwhile, students from various schools clashed with police in Regal Chowk as they tried to take out march from their respective institutions, however police swung into action and intercepted the students which triggered clashes.

The clashes continued for at least fifteen minutes as the forces finally managed to chase away the protesting students.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.