Asifa rape and murder: DNA tests confirm victim was held captive in a temple 

Srinagar: The DNA tests conducted to ascertain the facts related to the rape and murder of an eight year old child, Asifa Bano in Kathua area of Jammu have confirmed that the strands of hair recovered from a temple belonged to the victim and that she was held captive before being strangulated to death.

Official sources told a local news gathering agency that the crime branch, probing the rape-and-murder had found hair strands from Devistan temple in Hiranagar after one of the accused revealed during interrogation that Asifa was held captive inside the temple. The crime site was searched and the hair strands were found and sent to Forensic Laboratory (FSL) New Delhi. The report confirmed that the hair strands were that of Asifa, the sources said.  

The report was received by the crime branch on Tuesday along with the postmortem report which has also confirmed the anti depression medicine ( Clonazepam) was used to sedate the girl by the accused.

An official of the crime branch said that after receiving the medical report, a charge sheet would be filed before the competent court of jurisdiction in next few days.

The investigating agency has so far arrested nine accused persons including the mastermind Sanji Ram and his son Vishal Kumar, a police head constable, two SPOs and a sub-inspector of police in connection with the crime.

Sanji Ram, a retired revenue officer, surrendered before the crime branch on March 20 and the development came a day after his son Vishal Kumar was arrested from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, in connection with the case (FIR No: 10/2018 U/S 363, 320, 376, 302 RPC). Both father and son were evading arrest in connection with the gruesome rape and murder case which had send shock waves across the state.

The investigations had revealed that it was not a random crime but part of a wider conspiracy to dislodge the Bakarwal community from the Rassana village in Kathua. Sanji Ram has been bent upon to dislodge the nomad community from Rassana village, the probe said.

 “The mastermind behind the entire game was bent upon dislodging the Bakarwal community and in order to execute the nefarious design, he hatched a conspiracy (with others),” the SIT submitted in a status report before the high court last week.

The minor girl had been missing since January 10 when she failed to return home after watering the horses in her native Rassana forests, and her body was found on January 17.

The next day, after protests rocked the area, police had said that a SIT, under SDPO border, had been set up to investigate the case.

On January 20, the government transferred the Station House Officer of the Hiranagar police station, ordering a magisterial probe, and three days later, on January 23, handed the case over to the Crime Branch.  (GNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.