27 hour long Karan Nagar gunfight ends, two militants killed  

Srinagar: Two unidentified militants and a CRPF constable were killed in a 27-hour long gun battle in uptown area of Karan Nagar in Srinagar.

According to the police sources, a constable sentry at 23 battalion of CRPF noticed a movement of two individuals in the wee hours of Monday.

“Accordingly, he challenged those individuals and they retreated from there,” Inspector General of Police Kashmir, Swayam Prakash Panni told the media persons in Srinagar.

He said that, subsequently a search operation was launched to nab the individuals in the area. He added that while the search operation was going on, the search party received some fire shots and the area was immediately cordoned off.

“In the initial exchange of fire, one CRPF personnel was killed and one Jammu and Kashmir cop was injured,” Panni said.

He added that in the proceeding operation that continued for over 24 hours, two militants were killed and arms and ammunition were recovered from the slain militants.

“Whatever we have got, from the preliminary investigation, it is Lashkar-e-Toiba outfit. The material which was recovered suggests that it was Lashkar outfit,” Panni said.

However, the top cop said that the identity of the militants is yet to be ascertained.

“At this point of time, the identity of the militants is yet to be ascertained,” Panni said. He added that they are trying to ascertain the identity of the militants.

However, the deceased constable was identified as Mujahid Khan of 49 Bn.Khan was a resident of Bihar.

Panni said that since the operation was taken out in congested locality, a lot of civilian population was rescued.

“While the operation was planned all the civilian population was removed and entire area was sanitised,” Panni added.

He added that no other collateral damage was done to the other buildings.

Meanwhile, Inspector General of CRPF Ravideep Singh Sahi told media persons that the credit goes to the sentry who first averted this fidayeen attack and stopped the militants from entering the battalion headquarters.

“Had they entered the headquarters, there would have been lot of loss,” Sahi said.

When asked if there were more militants in the area except these two, Sahi said that there were no such inputs.

“There were only two and accordingly the sentry retaliated,” Sahi said on the sidelines of the press conference.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.