Srinagar: A court in New Delhi Wednesday granted bail to a Kashmiri businessman arrested for his alleged involvement in the Red Fort attack case of 2000.
Additional Sessions Judge Sidharth Sharma granted bail to businessman Bilal Ahmad Kawa, 37, asking him to furnish a personal bond of Rs 50,000 and a surety of like amount.
The court today said that other accused in Red Fort Terror attack case with more serious allegations have been discharged.
“It is seen that there were more allegations against the other accused persons who have been discharged or acquitted, regarding giving shelter, etc besides giving money in bank accounts to facilitate terrorist activities, it is seen that 174-A IPC was not in existence when the accused was declared PO, the bail order said.
The court had earlier on Feb 5 directed the Delhi Police to file its response by February 7 on the bail plea of Kawa.
Additional Sessions Judge had issued notice to the Special Cell of the Delhi Police on the application moved by Kawa.
Kawa was arrested by Delhi Police and the Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi in January. The GAT and Delhhi police had claimed that 29.5 lakh was transferred in his bank account before Red Fort attack took place in 2000. However, the family claimed that he was framed and was picked up from Srinagar.
The family members of Kawa organized many protests in Srinagar and had termed his arrest illegal and accused police of framing him in a fake case.
The family had blamed the media for projecting an “innocent civilian” as a “terrorist” and demanded his immediate release.