Minor injured in shell explosion, succumbs

Srinagar: A 10-year-old boy who was seriously wounded at the site of gunfight in Chaigund village of south Kashmir’s Shopian district last week has succumbed to injuries.

With his death,  five civilians have been killed in a week in the southern Shopian district.

Musharaf Fayaz son of Fayaz Ahmad Najar suffered critical injuries in his head and face on Jan 25 after a shell exploded at the encounter site while a group of people were clearing the debris of the house which was razed to ground by the forces during the gunfight.

The minor succumbed to injuries in the wee hours today after battling for life for nearly six days at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) Soura.

A pall of gloom descended at Datmudoor-the native village of Musharaf when his body reached his home today at around 7:15 am for last rites, relatives of the deceased said.

Incharge police officer Keegam, Shopian also confirmed that the minor boy succumbed to injuries today morning.

On Jan 24, two local militants were killed in an encounter while civilian minor boy Shakir Ahmad Mir died and two girls were injured at Chaigund Audoo Shopian.

Police said that Shakir and the girls were caught in cross firing.

On Jan 27, two youth Javed Ahmad Bhat, 20, of Balpora and Suhail Javed Lone, 24, of Rawalpora Shopian died while Rayees Ahmad Ganie of Narpora succumbed to injuries yesterday after battling for life for the five days at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of SKIMS, Soura.

Police has booked an army unit on murder and ‘attempt to murder’ charges over the shooting of civilians while as government has ordered a magisterial probe into the killings.

Army has claimed they opened fire in “self-defence” after a “mob tried to lynch an officer” during protests.

The internet services remain suspended in Shopian while people have been observing shutdown since January 25.(GNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.