Teenager killed in Shopian, three others injured

Shopian: A 17 year old youth was killed while another sustained pellet injuries after government forces used pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters near an  encounter site in South Kashmir’s Shopian district. The incident left three others, including two girls injured. Meanwhile, police said that two militants were also killed during the gunfight.

Sources said that a gun fight raged between militants and government forces after combined forces comprising 44 Rashtriya Rifles of Indian Army, 14 Battalion CRPF and SOG of Police cordoned off Chaigund Dairoo village of Shopian district after receiving inputs about the presence of militants in the area.

Sources added that as the operation was launched, militants fired some round on the search party, which the forces retaliated leading to a gunfight between the militants and the forces.

Reports said that at least two militants were believed to be present in the village who were resorting to intermittent firing.

Eyewitnesses said that shortly after the gunfight youth took to streets and pelted stones on the forces, who retaliated with pellets and tear-smoke shells.

Two youth according to sources were injured while one of them succumbed to his injuries at the Primary Health Centre Rajpora.

Block Medical Officer (BMO) confirmed the death of the youth. He has reportedly been identified as Shakir Ahmed Mir son of Muhammad Yousuf Mir, a resident of Qalampora Rajpora Pulwama.

Witnesses said that the deceased youth was walking along with his sister who also has reportedly sustained injuries. Sources said that two teenage girls were also injured during the clashes.

Both the injured girls were shifted to Pulwama district hospital for treatment.

Reyaz Ahmad, a doctor at Pulwama hospital who operated upon them said that both the girls have received bullet wounds and as such were referred to SKIMS Soura for specialized treatment.

Meanwhile, police said that two militants were killed in the ongoing encounter.

“In an encounter today at Saigund Shopian, two militants have been neutralised and weapons have been recovered. Unfortunately one boy was also killed in the cross-fire and two ladies sustained injuries. Search is still going on,” DGP Sheesh Pal Vaid tweeted.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.