Jehangir Chowk Blast : Death forbids 60 year old man to ‘live his dreams’


Srinagar: The haunting memories of the September 7 Jehangir Chowk blast were refreshed today when another civilian who has suffered serious injuries in the incident succumbed to his injuries at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS) here.  

After battling for life for more than 40 days, Ghulam Mohiudin Bhat (60) S/O Ghulam Muhammad Bhat, resident of Bughama, Budgam, Thursday breathed his last at SKIMS Soura, leaving his family shattered and colleagues shocked.

Bhat, who had retired from SKIMS just 40 days back was travelling on his newly purchased scooty when the blast left him severely injured. He was admitted in the hospital under MRD number 1000293, in Surgical Intensive Care Unit after he was referred to SKIMS for specialized treatment at around 8 PM (September 7), after being gravely injured during the grenade blast.

According to doctors, Bhat did not show any sign of improvement during all these days, however, he was given every possible treatment during the stay but unfortunately, he did not survive.

They said that there were serious injuries to his vitals, and he continued to be on the life saving support since the day first.

Pertinently, another civilian was killed while 15 others, including three policemen were seriously injured in a grenade attack at Jahangir Chowk in Srinagar on September 07 this year. The person who died on the very day was identified as Maqsood Ahmad Shah, a resident of Gopalpora, Budgam.

After the death of Bhat, death toll in Jehangir Chowk grenade attack has reached two, with both hailing from central Kashmir’s Budgam district.

Bhat, was working as a Security Supervisor at SKIMS who had retired recently from his job. His colleagues at SKIMS recall him as a sober and helpful person who was honest, while terming his death uneven and shocking.

According to his colleagues, Bhat, after getting injured, was beaten to pulp by security personnel, who reached the spot after the grenade attack, mistaking his as the one who lobber the grenade, “after he fell down from the scooty that he was riding, security men reached the spot and thrashed him to the full,” said a security guard posted at SKIMS, who has worked under the supervision of Bhat, wishing not to be named.

He further said that Bhat had actually gone out to get some court documents filled from Lal Chowk, as he was completing the registration formalities of his scooty, whose number plate at the time of incident, was blank.

“Number plate being blank worsened the situation, as it strengthened the suspicion of security personnel, who later thrashed him, before he was taken to the hospital.”

His colleagues and those who used to be his subordinates at the hospital term his death as heartening, saying that after retirement he had several plans to accomplish, but death did not give him time to live his dreams.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.