Handwara areas observe shutdown against youth’s killing

An uneasy calm prevailed in Handwara areas of Kupwara district on Friday, as for the second day normal life remained crippled in many parts of the district for the second successive day due to the shutdown against killing of a youth in a‘fake encounter’ by the Army in Handwara.

According to report all shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads.

Pertinently, the government on Friday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the killing of the third year student Shahid Bashir Mir, who army claimed was part of the militant group that was trapped in Hafrada forests in Handwara.

As the body of youth was handed over to locals on Wednesday evening, they refused to lay him to rest and instead marched towards Tarathpora—the native village of Mir—where they staged a massive demonstration throughout the night against his killing.

While ordering a magisterial inquiry into the killing—apart from issuing NOC in favour of the slain youth—deputy commissioner Kupwara Khalid Jahangir said the inquiry will be completed in a week’s time.

While impressing that the killing will be investigated impartially Deputy Commissioner Kupwara, Khalid Jahangir said “already, top police officials have declared the slain youth a civilian and not a militant. There will be an impartial probe into the matter.” Adding that investigation will be now focused on how he reached Hafrada forests.

After public demand and outcry, the deputy commissioner handed over NOC issued by station house officer (police station Vilgam) to the family of slain youth Shahid. “It is certified that Shahid Bashir Mir, S/O Bashir Ahmad Mir, R/O Daril Payeen was not involved in any kind of subversive/criminal activities as per the available records of this police station,” the NOC reads.

He also assured the agitating youths that once the troops allegedly involved in the incident are identified, an FIR will be shortly lodged against them in police station Vilgam, “I have assured the locals that after the inquiry those involved will be booked,” he said.

With Civil Administration ordering probe in the incident, Army is yet to take the call in this regard, and has so far not issued any inquiry into the matter.

On Friday, the Army Spokesperson, Rajesh Kalia could not be contacted for his comments after repeated attempts.

“Specific intelligence-based operation was launched in the Haphruda forest on the night of 21-22 August. The army column was fired upon by the militants which was retaliated. During search operations, the body of an individual was recovered and handed over to police. Further investigations are on to ascertain the facts,” the army had said in a statement on Thursday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.