Youth clash with forces, several injured

Clashes erupted between government forces and youth post Friday prayers at Nowhatta area of Srinagar. Elsewhere, youth clashed with forces in Anantnag, Pulwama and Sopore as well.

Witnesses said that soon after the culmination of congregational Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta area of old city, youth took to the streets to protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir. Witnesses said they were chanting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.

However, a heavy contingent of police and paramilitary forces deployed there intercepted the youth, triggering clashes.

Reports said forces fired several rounds of tear-gas canisters to disperse the protesting youth.

Similar reports were received from south Kashmir’s Anantnag district wherein massive clashes erupted between youth and government forces in old town area of the district

Witnesses said that as soon as the news of the killing of Hizb militant Yawar Nissar and a civilian spread, clashes erupted at Lal Chowk, Malakhnag, Chinni Chowk, Reshi Bazaar, Sherpora, Janglat Mandi and Achabal bus terminal areas of old town of the district.

They said youth from the areas started protesting, however, police and paramilitary forces fired several teargas canisters to disperse them, triggering massive clashes in the areas.

Meanwhile, reports of clashes were also received from Sopore town of Baramulla district as well.

Witnesses said clashes erupted between forces and youth after congregational Friday prayers in the old town of Sopore

The witnesses said the protestors assembled outside the Masjid and started marching towards the main Chowk Sopore raising “anti-India and pro freedom slogans”.

As the protesters reached Fish Market Sopore they started hurling stones on forces deployed there in strength.

“The forces retaliated using teargas shells to disperse them,” witnesses said.

Meanwhile, protesters also clashed with forces at Tahab and Hawl villages of Pulwama district after congregational prayers.

Witnesses said that soon after the congregational prayers ended, scores of youth took to streets at Tahab and Hawl villages and staged pro-freedom protests.

The protest marches were stopped by forces triggering clashes.

Reports said security forces resorted to tear gas shelling and fired some shots in the air at Tahab village to disperse the protesters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.