Beerwah erupts as Army firing leaves one dead, another injured

Fierce protested erupted in Beerwah where a youth was killed and another injured in a targeted killing by the Indian army.

According to local sources, a youth who was identified as Tanveer Ahmad Pala, was critically injured after he was hit by a bullet in his head. A tailor by profession, he was rushed to the  PHC Gondipora where he succumbed.

Another youth identified as Mohammad Ibrahim Wani, was injured as armed force fired upon a group of youth who were pelting stones before prayers in the main market of Beerwah. Following the incident fierce protests erupted in the area and local people refused to bury the body until action was taken against the concerned force personnel of 53 RR.

After the incident, police said that a first information report (FIR) has been lodged against army over the killing of the youth. A senior police official of the district said that an FIR has been registered against Army’s 53 RR over the killing of Tanveer Ahmad. A local resident, Anees Ahmad, said that the justice should be ensured in the case.

Police said that another youth Ibrahim Ahmad Wani of Goripora village was injured after army opened fire on protesters in the town.

He has been shifted to District Hospital Budgam where his condition is stated to be stable.

Sources said that army opened fire on youth who pelted them with stones in the town. Earlier, they said, a patrol party of the army thrashed some vendors as well.

A police official confirmed the killing of Wani and injuries to another person. Police on Friday said that army men opened fire after they mistook fire cracker sound for a grenade blast in Beerwah area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district.

“As per initial information received today a foot patrol of army was returning to its camp and near Beerwah some miscreants pelted stones on them,” said a police spokesman. He said that “someone among the miscreants” hurled a fire cracker towards the army men.

“Because of bang, the army men thought a grenade was hurled and they retaliated. Two persons identified as Tanveer Ahmed Pala and Mohammed Ibrahim Wani were injured. Among them Tanveer succumbed to his injuries while Ibrahim is stable,” said the spokesman.

Thousands of people, including women and children marched with the body of youth killed in army firing in Beerwah town. Witnesses said that thousands of men, women and children marched with the body of Tanveer as it was being brought home from PHC Gondipora.

While men raised slogans for Kashmir’s freedom, women sang eulogies: “Qoam kay Bahaduro, Karyo goor gooro (Bravehearts of the nation, let me sing you a lullaby).” Local sources said that as the people protested the police resorted to heavy tear smoke shelling and the use of pellets in which some youth have received minor injuries.

Following the incident amid the heavy deployment of forces entire Beerwah town observed shutdown.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.