Four weeks on, no Friday prayers in Srinagar’s Jamia Masjid

Amid restrictions imposed on the third consecutive day in Srinagar parts, the authorities on the fourth straight week disallowed people to offer mandatory Friday congregational prayers at the historic Jamia Masjid here.

All the four gates of Jamia Masjid continued to remain locked for the fourth consecutive Friday today.

The congregational prayers at the grand mosque are being disallowed since Jumma-tul-Vida (last Friday of Ramadhan) following the lynching of a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP) outside Jamia on Shab-e-Qadr.

“The forces were deployed in large number in the area who had restricted the movement of people throughout the day. They didn’t allow us to offer congregational prayers at Jamai Masjid,” locals informed this newspaper.

Meanwhile, restrictions under section 144 continued on the third consecutive day in Srinagar areas falling under the jurisdiction of seven Police Stations including Khanyar, Nowhatta, Rainawari, MR Gunj, Safakadal, Maisuma and Kralkhud as precautionary measures.

The curbs in Srinagar parts continued since Wednesday morning following the killing of three Hizb militants in an overnight encounter in Budgam district.

Notably, one among the slain militants identified as Sajad Ahmad Gilkar was hailing from Nowhatta area of Srinagar.

Heavy contingents of police and paramilitary troopers were deployed on the roads who had erected concertina wires on the roads leading towards Jamia Masjid to halt the vehicular and pedestrian movement.

Meanwhile, Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman and Jamia Masjid’s head priest, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq lashed out at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for disallowing the Friday prayers at historic Jamia Masjid and imposing restriction in Srinagar today.

“Strict curfew imposed, Friday prayers again disallowed for the fourth consecutive week at #JamaMasjid.PDP has completely brazened it out….,” Mirwaiz tweeted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.