Life limps back to normalcy in Kashmir

Life in Kashmir Valley returned to normal on Sunday after two days of restrictions and strike as the first death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani remained “by and large peaceful.’’

There were no restrictions on the movement or assembly of people anywhere in the Valley on Sunday, officials said.   Restrictions were lifted after two days this morning as the situation remained by and large peaceful on Saturday on Wani’s maiden death anniversary, they said.

“There were  few incidents of stone-pelting on Saturday, but by and large the situation remained under control and peaceful,” the officials said. A woman sustained multiple pellet injuries in one such clash in Shopian town.

Authorities had imposed curfew in three towns – Shopian and Tral in south Kashmir and Trehgam in north, while strict restrictions were enforced elsewhere in the Valley on Saturday.

The separatist camp, including Hurriyat Conference factions led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and the Yasin Malik-led JKLF, had called for a strike on Saturday and had issued programs to commemorate Burhan Wani’s death anniversary.

Restrictions had also been imposed in parts of Kashmir, including in five police station areas of Srinagar – the summer capital of the state – on 7 July as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order.

Internet services were also snapped on Thursday night as a precautionary measure.

 Internet services restored

Authorities on Sunday restored mobile Internet services in Kashmir, two days after the facility was snapped in view of apprehensions of law and order problems on the first death anniversary of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani.

However, only 2G services were working, an official said. “Mobile Internet services have been restored in Kashmir,” the official said, adding the facility was restored during the night.  Internet services across the Valley were snapped on Thursday night as precautionary measure to maintain law and order in view of Wani’s anniversary.

Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district on 8 July, 2016.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.