Army officer among three soldiers injured in militant attack

Three army men including an officer of captain rank were injured in a militant attack Saturday morning in Hajin area of North Kashmir’s Bandipora district.

A senior police official told ‘Kashmir Vision’ that militants attacked an army patrol which was deployed near Hajin hospital in the wee hours today resulting in casualities. The incident is reported to have occurred at 3 am as the army men were patrolling the area. The attack was carried out barely 1. 5 kms from Army Goodwill School Hajin.

“The armed force personnel were on the routine patrolling when the militants fired upon them,” the officer said.  The injured army men belong to 13 RR and following the militant attack, the area was sealed and combing operation was launched.

However, militants had managed to escape from the place taking cover of darkness. The Army officer and two other soldiers were shifted to Army’s 92 Base hospital in Badami Bagh here for the specialized treatment, he said.

“The soldiers have got minor injuries and their condition is said to be stable,” said an official, on condition of anonymity.

A senior ranking police officer in Bandipora said that after the attack took place additional reinforcements were rushed to the area and searches started, but the militants had managed to flee from the spot. He said that the militants were believed to have been 5 to 6 in number.

 Sources identified the soldiers, who got injured, as captain Parveen, sepoy Brijesh Lal Bahadur and sepoy Ramesh Kumar.

When asked about the number of militants who attacked the patrolling party, the officer said: “ Our investigation revealed that 5-6 militants were present on the spot who attacked the soldiers.”

He said that the militants may have sneaked in from across the border as the Hajin area remains largely free from the prescience of militants.

“We don’t have local militants here. The militants who attacked may have been foreigners and may have freshly infiltrated from across the border,” the officer said.

“We laid a cordon for several hours and carried out the searches in the area to nab the militants. But they had escaped from the spot. After the cordon and search didn’t yield any clue about militants it was called off early morning,” he said adding later we called off the search operation.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.