Clashes leave many injured in South Kashmir after militant deaths

Fierce clashes erupted in the Bamnoo area of Pulwama’s South Kashmir on Monday as local people protested near the encounter site where three militants of the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit were trapped in an encounter since morning. A police cop was also injured in a militant attack in Anantang area in which a woman also suffered injuries.

Police sources said that government forces on Sunday evening cordoned off Malngpora village in Awantipora, however, forces has to call off the cordon and search operation that was launched as the suspected militants managed to escape the siege. As per reports the operation was called off around 1 am after militants managed to give a slip to the forces.

However, troops later in the morning cordoned off Bamnoo village in Pulwama after inputs that three suspected militants have been seen moving in the village.

However, clashes erupted near encounter site in Bamnoo village of Pulwama after forces fired bullets and pellets on the protesters near the encounter site. According to the sources, many protestors were injured with pellet guns.

 Four youth who were injured near the encounter site and are stated to be critical were shifted to Srinagar hospitals for specialised treatment. The  injured were identified as Mohammad Saleem, a resident of Chawan Keller, who was referred to Srinagar from Pulwama district hospital, sources said. Earlier Jahangir Ahmad Wagay, 16, son of Abdul Hamid, a resident of Abhama was hit with a bullet in his abdomen.  Mushtaq Ahmad, 23, son of Abdul Rashid Kumar of Keller Pulwama was also hit by a shell in the lower part of the body was admitted in a Srinagar hospital. Tariq Ahmad son of Muhmmad Sultan of Kellow Pulwama was hit by a bullet on the right side of the chest.

During the encounter that began early morning as the police acted on the information about the presence of militants two militants were killed till late afternoon. The identity of the militants was ascertained as Kifayat  Ahmad of Bamnoo and Jahangir Ahmad of Kellar, while the operation with a third militant, who remained holed inside the building, continued till late in the evening.

Witnesses said that many protesters hit the streets against the action by the forces. The protestors were trying to disrupt the anti-militancy operations. Following the protests additional troops were mobilized from different areas and deployed around the encounter site.

Meanwhile, a policeman identified as Gulam Hassan of IRP 16 Bn was referred to Srinagar in critical condition after he was attacked by militants near the Anantang bus stand. The policeman was referred to Srinagar for specialised treatment. A lady who was also injured in the attack. She was identified as Sumit Kaur of Chatti SinghPora, Anantnag.

A police spokesman later said that militants took advantage of busy market and fled away from the spot after firing at the cop. Soon after the incident, police and security forces launched the search operation to nab the attackers.

“Police has registered a case FIR number 150/2017 in this regard and further investigation has been taken up,” the spokesman added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.