Shutdown continues in South Kashmir over civilian deaths


A complete shutdown was observed for the second consecutive day in South Kashmir towns against the civilian and militant killings while as the business resumed functioning partially in the Srinagar city today.

All shops, educational institutes and other business establishments remained closed in the South Kashmir towns while public transport was off the roads.  Three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants were killed in an encounter with government forces in Arwani village of Anantnag district on Friday, that triggered strong protests which refuse to die down as the public anger has simmered over civilian deaths that followed subsequently.

Two civilians were killed after forces opened fire on protesters marching towards the encounter site to help the militants escape from the cordon that was laid by a heavy contingent of government forces.

As per reports the routine life was paralysed in all major towns of the southern part of Kashmir and the effect of strike was more visible in areas including Anantnag, Bejbehara and Kulgam, while in Arwani belt, it was curfew like situation.

Meanwhile, army chief General Bipin Rawat has admitted that South Kashmir scenario remains a difficult.

 “Some parts of South Kashmir are indeed troublesome, but necessary actions are being taken to ensure that the situation there is fully brought under control. Therefore, I think there should not be any cause for worry for anyone,” Rawat was quoted by the media in Kolkata. “We all are looking at bringing peace and tranquility and I am quite sure that some of the young people, who should be having books and computers in their hands and preparing for exams for entering the IITs and IIMs, will soon be brought on the right side of the fence and they will themselves understand that they were not choosing the right path.’’

As per reports reaching here said the North Kashmir areas reopened on Sunday and all shops, other business establishments reopened while public transport was plying normally on the roads.

 No restrictions were imposed by the authorities in Srinagar. The shops remained open and were thronged by the people. Sunday Market, at Lal Chowk was also crowded. The traffic was also plying normally on the city roads without any disruption.

 On Saturday, the authorities had decided to continue restrictions in areas falling under five police stations in downtown Srinagar on Sunday fearing law and order problems. Kashmiris preferred to stay indoors as the arch rivals India and Pakistan clashed at the ICC Champions Trophy finals on Sunday.  In view of India Vs Pakistan finals, NIT Srinagar authorities have banned the movement of the students in the premises after 5 pm. They locked the main door, for which a formal order was issued. NIT Srinagar has huge non-local student population that lives in the hostels.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.