Committee inquiring infant death in LD seeks written responses


A five member committee that was formed by Principal and Dean, Government Medical College, Srinagar to enquire about the death of an infant on April 25 in Govt Lalla Ded Hospital, formally met on Thursday.

The members of the committee have sought a written reply from all the individuals who are being held responsible for the negligence that has led to death of an infant.

Divulging details about the meeting Medical Superintendent (MS), Govt Lalla Ded Hospital, Dr, Nazir Malik, who is also a member of the five member committee said that “the members of the committee met yesterday and have sought a written reply from all the individuals who had a role to play.”

Principal GMC had constituted the committee on April 26 and had directed the members to submit the report in two days, however due to unknown reasons, the committee failed to do so.

Initially two committees were formed; one, three member committee by Lalla Ded Hospital administration and, another five member committee was formed by Principal GMC.

Later, the committee formed by Lalla Ded administration was discarded and the five member committee constituted by Principal GMC was tasked to enquire into the matter.

The meeting should have been held a week ago; however, it was called after a brief delay and the reasons behind the delay are unknown as of now.

Asifa, a high risk pregnancy patient, bearing MRD number: 4401, was shifted to SMHS from Lal Ded hospital on Thursday, for no reason, and while returning back to Lalla Ded hospital, the ambulance driver had resorted to rash driving that led to the death of Arifa’s infant.

While talking to Kashmir Vision, Asifa’s husband, Rouf Ahmad said that he was in constant touch with the administration and they, as per him, have assured proper and timely action, and the fixing of responsibility to whosoever was responsible.

MS, Lalla Ded Hospital said that the individuals held responsible in the case were called and details were sought from them regarding the incident. According to MS, the individuals who were responsible for the treatment of the patient informed that the patient was taken to SMHS under proper monitoring and care.

When asked if the committee has reached to any conclusion, MS said that “ it will be too early to decide anything, the members will meet again, at least twice and after receiving and analyzing the written replies and many other aspects pertaining to the case, the committee will formally submit its report to the concerned authorities.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.