Kashmir shuts on 3rd day after strict restrictions to foil Tral march

A complete shutdown was observed across Kashmir on third day today as Authorities imposed strict restrictions to foil the march to Tral, where the two slain militants including HM top commander, Sabzar Ahmad Bhat, were buried after being killed in a gun battle in the Saimoh Village.

Restrictions and curfew was imposed by the authorities for the third consecutive day on Tuesday to prevent a march to Tral, the hometown of slain Hizbul Mujahideen commander Sabzar Ahmad Bhat, which was called earlier by the joint resistance leadership.

On Saturday the separatists issued an appeal to people asking them to march to Tral in Pulwama district to offer prayers (fateha) of Bhat, alias Abu Zarar, who succeeded HM militant commander, Burhan Muzafar Wani, as the militant outfit’s operational chief in Kashmir.  Bhat was killed on Saturday in a gunfight with the government forces in Saimoh village along with his associate Faizan Ahmed.

 As per the directions earlier issued by district magistrate  Srinagar, Farooq Ahmed Lone, curfew  continued in seven police station areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R.Gunj, Safa Kadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma.Heavy deployment of police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were made in other parts of the city to restrain the vehicular movement.

Restrictions were also clamped in all other district headquarters and major towns of the Kashmir as authorities ordered closure of all educational institutions.  All senior separatist leaders including Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq were placed under house arrest in the Srinagar city to prevent their participation in the separatist march.

Authorities had suspended internet services on mobile phones on Saturday, and on Tuesday the internet facilities on landline broadband connection were also snapped at most places in the Valley to prevent “spread of rumours by miscreants.”  Students, patient care and businesses were the worst hit by these extreme measures that were put in place to prevent a recurrence of the 2016 unrest that saw nearly a 100 people being killed after the death of Burhan Wani in a similar gunfight in July 2016.

Tral sealed

Government forces imposed strict restrictions by sealing all the roads leading to Tral to foil the separatist march. All roads leading to Tral were sealed with concertina wires were rolled out and armoured vehicles were deployed at major check points to prevent or discourage the movement of pedestrians and vehicles. As per reports a small group of people, however, defied the restrictions and organized a rally in Bhat’s native village Rathsun. During the day scores of youth assembled at the bus stand Tral and raised slogans against the government forces. A complete shutdown was observed here and all the shops and other business establishments remained shut.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.