Protests, clashes witnessed after Friday prayers

Protests and clashes were reported from different parts of Kashmir Valley on Friday. Pertinently, the joint resistance camp had called for peaceful protests after Friday prayers against the slapping of PSA on Asiya Andrabi, her aide Sofi Fehmeeda and to press for release of political detainees.

   Aasiya and Fahmeeda were booked under the public safety act (PSA) on Monday and were shifted to Amphala Jail in Jammu.

Pertinently, Asiya is suffering from various ailments and was lately on oxygen before she was shifted to Aphalla jail.

Dukhtaran-e-Milat in a statement termed the slapping of PSA on the duo and shifting them to Jammu jail, a conspiracy to kill ailing Asiya.

    Reports said that joint resistance leadership staged a peaceful protest in Maisuma Srinagar. The protesters were carrying placards and banners condemning the random arrest and killing of people. The protest march dispersed peacefully.

    Clashes were reported from Nowhata area of old Srinagar city where youths pelted stones and waved flags and posters of militants. Government forces lobbed tear-smoke shells to disperse the rock hurling protesters. The clashes disrupted normal life in the area. Witnesses said that a youth was arrested during these clashes. 

    Meanwhile, Hurriyat (M) Chief Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest to prevent him from leading a joint resistance protest against the slapping of Public Safety Act on Dukhtaran-e-Millat chairperson Asiya Andrabi, said a spokesman.

  He said that a police party arrived at his Nigeen residence at 5:30 am and placed him under house detention.

  Clashes erupted between government forces and protesters in Sopore town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district after congregational Friday prayers.

   Earlier, protests were held against the detention of students and other youth.

   Scores of youth who had assembled near Markazi Jamia Masjid tried to march into the town when forces lobbed teargas shells to disperse them. This triggered minor clashes in the area.

     Reports from North Kashmir’s Pattan town said that scores of women hit to road and staged a protest after Friday prayers demanding the release of ailing Dukhtaran-e-Millat chairperson Aasiya Andrabi and her personal secretary Sofi Fehmeeda.

    The protestors raised anti India slogans and demanded the release of the duo.

   “She has been slapped with PSA without any reason and her health condition is deteriorating in the jail as she is already ill,” said a protester to reporters.

   Clashes were reported Friday morning from Kralpora, Kupwara when students of higher secondary school came out of their school and started a peaceful protest at main chowk Kralpora.

   Reports said that students were protesting till police came into action which led to clash between police and the students.

    According to the locals of the area clashes have now triggered the complete shutdown in the area. An eyewitness said, “However students of the higher secondary school went back to their school but the area is witnessing complete shutdown.”

Station House Officer Kralpora, situation was normal till the students came out and started stone pelting on the police party, which was on their routine duty.

Clashes also erupted after Friday prayers between youth and government forces in Hajin area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district and Pulwama district of south Kashmir.

   Reports said that soon after culmination of Friday prayers youth marched towards main chowk from Jamia Masjid Hajin and hurled stones at the forces deployed there.

  Witnesses said that the forces responded by firing tear smoke shells, triggering clashes.

Clashes erupted in Anantnag town in south Kashmir on Friday, triggering shutdown in several localities. Youth took to streets and pelted stones at government forces in Lal Chowk and Old town areas.

   Forces responded by firing teargas shells, triggering chaos in the town.

Many shopkeepers lowered their shutters after the clashes.

Clashes also erupted in Pulwama town after youth hurled stones on forces. Reports said that youths pelted stones in Muran Chowk and Rajpora Chowk prompting police to lob PAVA and tear smoke shells.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.