Governor refutes BJP claim of security withdrawal from slain politician

Governor refutes BJP claim of security withdrawal from slain politician

Says people should understand their vote is their biggest weapon

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik on Monday refuted his own Bharatiya Janata Party’s claim that security cover was withdrawn from its senior party politician in Anantnag who was killed at his home in Verinag area two days ago. Malik said that the slain Gul Mohammad Mir was never “categorised” for providing security cover, and that the accusation of withdrawal of his security cover was “disinformation”.
“It is wrong to link it (the killing) with security withdrawal, as he was never categorised nor was his security withdrawn. Rumours are being spread,” he told reporters at the opening of the civil secretariat here in the summer capital. The state government has returned to Srinagar from winter capital Jammu in the bi-annual exercise that is known as Durbar Move.
Soon after suspected militants killed BJP leader Gul Mohammad Mir in Verinag, the saffron party had blamed the administration for withdrawing his security cover.
The Governor said that J&K chief secretary BVR Subrahmanyam has been asked to hold an inquiry into whether the withdrawal of security from several politicians in J&K was linked to the BJP politician’s killing and also with political killings that have taken place in recent months.
An individual is categorised as a protected person by the Security Review Coordination Committee (SRCC) based on the threat perception to him, apart from guidelines carried in the home ministry’s Yellow Book.
Replying to a query about the long overdue assembly elections, Malik put the ball in the court of Election Commission of India. The governor’s administration has reportedly suggested for deferring the polls till November, citing the tourist season in summer and the two-month long Amarnath Yatra.
Governor Malik suggested political parties to hold public outreach programmes and urged people to exercise their franchise in elections for bringing change in governments.
“I appeal that we and political parties should together conduct public outreach and make people understand that their vote is their biggest weapon, not shutdown or bullets,” he said. “Make it a habit to cast vote and change governments,” he said.
According to him, the development in his seven-month rule had surpassed that of previous years, as he spelled out decisions taken so far.
“We established 52 colleges and upgraded 275 middle schools in one go, decisions that were pending for the past 30 years. Rs 750 crore was given for projects that were pending for want of funds,” he said, adding that the Rambagh-Jehangir Chowk flyover will be completed this month.
He dismissed complaints of power woes in winters in the Valley, saying electricity supply was quite better this winter.
“I have not received a complaint about electricity,” he said. “I won’t go into propaganda but this winter the electricity scenario was better.”