Cleaning of clogged hamaam pipes causes blast, injures two

Cleaning of clogged hamaam pipes causes blast, injures two

SHOPIAN: Two persons were injured after hamaam exhaust pipes of a mosque in Chowgam village of south Kashmir’s Shopian district exploded during cleaning them of deposits of soot or tar accumulated during burning in winters.
Local sources informed that pipes were blocked due to layers of the soot and tar accumulation. While the pipes were being cleaned by burning of some oil, the fire that broke out got blocked in the pipes and exploded.
Witnesses said that blast caused major damage to mosque and the hamaam. It also set fire to wires and other infrastructure.
“We thought some IED blast took place in the hamaam,” the said adding that the explosion rattled the neighbourhood.
The injured persons have been identified as Muhammad Yousuf Dar and Muhammad Yaseen Dar. Both have been shifted from district hospital Shopian to a Srinagar hospital for further treatment.
Police and fire extinguishing team reached the spot and brought fire under control.