KOLKATA: Former India captain and Bengal cricket boss Sourav Ganguly Saturday said a decision would be taken soon on the removal of Pakistan cricketers’ photographs, including that of PM Imran Khan, from the walls of Eden Gardens in the wake of the Pulwama attack.
Ganguly’s comment came after BJP’s youth wing workers protested in front of the Eden Gardens, seeking removal of photographs of Imran and other Pakistani cricketers from the walls of the stadium.
At least 64 activists of BJP youth wing were arrested for staging protest in front of the iconic Eden Gardens, a senior police officer said. They were later released on bail.
“We are working on it. There will be a decision soon,” Ganguly told reporters when asked about the removal of photos.
The state cricket associations of Vidarbha, Punjab and Rajasthan have already removed pictures of Pakistan cricketers in the aftermath of the attack which killed more than 40 CRPF personnel.
Ganguly had earlier backed a complete boycott of cricketing ties with Pakistan, saying not playing the arch-rivals in the upcoming World Cup won’t have much of an impact on the Indian team’s campaign at the mega event in May-July.
Days later, Sachin Tendulkar said he would ‘hate’ to give away two points to Pakistan by not playing in the World Cup and India should rather beat them again in the showpiece event to maintain their unbeaten record over the arch-rivals.
“He wants two points against Pakistan, I want the World Cup so. He wants two points I want the World Cup. Whichever way you look at it,” Ganguly said, reacting to Tendulkar’s comments.
Eden Gardens has photographs of Imran, Wasim Akram and others kept in non-public areas of the stadium.
Former and current cricketers have expressed varied opinions on severing cricketing ties with Pakistan.