19 students of Pulwama school injured in ‘grenade blast’ inside classroom

19 students of Pulwama school injured in ‘grenade blast’ inside classroom
  • 2K

Five injured shifted to Srinagar for treatment, police sources say hand grenade caused explosion

Anantnag: At least 19 students were injured Wednesday afternoon in an explosion that police sources said was caused by a hand grenade inside a classroom at a private school, here in Sirnoo village of Kakapora area in Pulwama district.
All the injured, as per police reports, were stable, though at least five of them were later shifted to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
“Some diagnostics needed to be carried out and they needed specialised treatment. That’s precisely why they were shifted to Srinagar. They are out of danger,” a senior police officer told Kashmir Reader.
The incident took place at about 2:30 PM in Sirnoo, Nagbal area of Kakapora, inside a classroom of Falah-e-Millat Higher Secondary School.
“We heard a blast while classes were being held. I asked around and was told that an electric transformer had blasted in the vicinity. But then it became clear that the explosion had taken place inside one of our classrooms,” principal of the school, Javed Ahmad, told media persons at a Pulwama hospital where the injured students were being treated.
The school was conducting winter coaching classes as schools in the valley remain officially closed for winter vacations.
The injured students were immediately shifted to Public Health Centre (PHC) Kakapora and some of them to the District Hospital later.
“Five of the injured were later shifted to Srinagar,” a health official confirmed while talking to Kashmir Reader.
Following the explosion, a police team reached the school and conducted preliminary investigations regarding the nature of the explosion.
“We have filed a case and investigation has been started. It will be too early to comment on the nature of the blast. Once it is ascertained, the details will be made public,” a senior police officer from Pulwama told Kashmir Reader.
Sources in the police revealed that the explosion was that of a hand grenade.
“What needs to be seen is whether the hand grenade was lying there already, or any of the students was carrying one to the school,” the sources told Kashmir Reader.
Meanwhile, minor stone-pelting was reported on police outside the school premises. Some youths hurled stones at the police team when it was leaving the school.
“A few tear smoke shells were also fired by the police to disperse the stone-throwing youth. The situation returned to normal soon,” local sources told Kashmir Reader.