MS GB Pant hospital says burn like marks caused by rare disorder
Srinagar: A family from north Kashmir’s Baramulla district Monday alleged GB Pant Hospital of negligence leading to the death of their new born.
According to family, the newborn girl died at the GB Pant hospital on February 3 after allegedly receiving “serious burns” in lower limbs in the Neonate Intensive Care Unit (NICU) “due to callous attitude” of the staff late Saturday night.
“They didn’t look after the baby in the critical area during the night. She was left unattended and a blower was kept close to her. The continuous exposure to heat resulted in serious burns to her lower limbs and her unfortunate death on Sunday,” Ajaz Ahmad Wani, her father told Kashmir Reader.
He said the child was admitted to the NICU on February 1 after she was referred from Noora Hospital for specialised treatment.
“We are left in utter shock and distress due to the untimely death of our child,” the father said.
The girl was born at Noora Hospital Srinagar and was immediately referred to GB Pant hospital for treatment, because of hypothermia.
The baby was admitted at the hospital around 10pm Friday night and was immediately admitted to the ICU of the hospital and was put on oxygen, according to the family.
“The doctors told us on Saturday morning that the baby is fine and is under observation. Later the day, the ICU staff called us and instructed to attend the baby immediately. When we reached the ICU we saw burn injuries on her body,” Aijaz said.
He said that the hospital staff had kept a (hot) blower close to the baby girl that led to severe burn injuries.
Dr Kawarjeet Singh, Medical Superintendent of the hospital denied the allegations and said the baby was suffering from a rare disorder that resulted in the skin redness and burn like marks.
“The baby was terminally ill and suffering from a rare disorder called Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation which resulted in blood clot in vessels. The baby didn’t receive any burns but the marks were due to the disorder,” he said.
Dr Singh said the hospital authorities were still inquiring the family’s complaint.
“If anyone was found negligent in any way, will be dealt with strictly. The inquiry has already been ordered in the case,” he said.
Meanwhile, the family appealed the inquiry committee that they should be consulted during the inquiry.
“The committee should consult us so that clear picture should come to surface. GB Pant authorities are confusing the issue by saying there was no blower. Our concern is not whether it was blower or warmer. Our issue is how did the infant received burns,” said Nisar Ahmad, uncle of deceased child.