Shopian youth announces militant brother’s killing on Facebook

Shopian youth announces militant brother’s killing on Facebook
  • 31

Anantnag: A Shopian youth took to social networking site, Facebook, on Tuesday to announce that his brother was among three slain militants, killed in a gunfight with government forces on Monday in Budgam district.
The heartbreaking post was shared by hundreds of people over the platform who expressed their anguish, sympathies and helplessness with the family.
“My dear beloved brother Rubaan has achieved martyrdom,” Syed Tajammul Imran, an employee of a global tech giant and elder brother of slain Al-Badr militant Syed Rubaan, wrote in his post.
Rubaan of Nazneenpora Shopian, Sabzar Ahmad Mir of Rajpora, Pulwama and Tawseef Ahmad Wani of Lassipora Pulwama were the three militants killed in a day long gunfight with government forces in Haptnaad area of Budgam district.
While the identities of the militants were ascertained by late last night, the families were made to wait outside Police Control Room in Srinagar for hours, before bodies were finally handed over to them.
“After all clarification, I have been waiting outside PCR Srinagar for the last 8 hours now. The body is yet to be handed over to us,” Imran told Kashmir Reader at about 2:30 PM on Monday.
Baba, maa and sisters all are waiting back home for Rubaan-Imran wrote.
The last journey home of these militants began only after 3:00pm.
Rubaan had joined militant ranks in around August last year, following persistent alleged harassment by the government forces.
Kashmir Reader, on June 25 last year, had done a story on how army men had allegedly slung their own guns over his shoulders-during a raid at their house-and clicked pictures of him.
Their house was regularly raided by the government forces, searching for their cousin-Syed Naveed-who had deserted police force and became a militant.
Naveed is a Hizb commander as of now.
Imran, back then, had told Kashmir Reader on how his brother was being “unnecessarily targeted” by the government forces.
“I have been moving from pillar to post. Every police official, every army official I met assured me he won’t be harassed any further but the harassment continued,” Imran had told this reporter back then.
The family, after Rubaan picked up arms, had alleged that he was forced to do so after persistent harassment by the government forces.
While Rubaan’s body was being taken home, Imran again took to Facebook, “On the last walk with Rubaan. From Srinagar to Shopian.”
He added that the funeral of his brother will be held tomorrow(Wednesday).
Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed Tuesday in entire Pulwama district against the killing of these militants. Internet services also remained snapped in the district.