Ehtisham Bilal arrested from downtown Srinagar

Ehtisham Bilal arrested from downtown Srinagar
  • 3

Srinagar: Police have arrested Ehtisham Bilal, the engineering student who went missing from Sharda University in Greater Noida on October 28, from Srinagar’s downtown with the “help of his family”.
Highly placed sources told Kashmir Reader that police arrested him in Khanyar neighbourhood, where he resided before joining militant outfit ISJK (Islamic State Jammu Kashmir).
Ehtisham went missing on October 28 days after he was beaten up by students in a scuffle at Sharda University, where he was studying the first year of an engineering course.
His photo showing him in a black outfit with grenades strapped to his body, with the black flag of Islamic State behind him, appeared on social media to announce his entry into the militant outfit. The Kashmiri student’s unverified audiotape also announced his entry into the outfit.
His distraught mother had repeatedly appeared on videos making fervent appeals to her son to return home. His arrest is seen as properly planned by the police.
Police officially announced his arrest and appealed for withholding his name.
“With the help of family and #police an individual (name withheld) has been brought back to the mainstream. Further details shall follow,” police said on Sunday.
Though no reason was cited for withholding the name, it is reportedly to make him lead a smooth life after quitting militancy.
Although police do not highlight militants who return home but Ehtisham is the second militant who has hogged headlines after returning home. Before him, footballer-turned-militant Majid Khan of Anantnag made headlines when he returned home in 2017.
Ehtisham’s father Bilal Ahmad said in a video released on social media that his son returned home and soon after, police reached his home and detained him.
A police official said that Ehtisham was bleeding from the mouth and police took him to hospital for treatment soon after detaining him.