AWANTIPORA: A residential house was gutted in a fire incident at Awantipora area of Pulwama district, resulting into loss of property worth lakhs of rupees in the incident.
Eyewitness told Kashmir Reader that a two storey residential house of Nisar Ahmad Malik, resident of Awantipora gutted completely in a fire incident and property worth of lakhs was also damaged in the incident.
“It was around 2 am when neighbours spotted thick smoke billowing from the house and informed the fire brigade officials. But when fire fighters reached the spot, assets worth several lakhs of rupees were reduced to ashes,” said a neighbour of Malik.
On getting information, police Awantipora and locals rushed to the spot and tried to extinguish the fire, but till then the house had got completely damaged in fire, SHO Awantipora Mudasir Naseer said.
No casualty or injury was reported in the incident, while the exact loss could not be ascertained.
The cause of the fire is believed to be a short circuit, he said.
Locals said that assets worth lakhs of rupees which belonged to the shopkeeper attached to the house also turned to cinders. Two sewing machines, interlock machines, laptops and house items were destroyed in the fire.
“The shopkeeper had kept his goods in one of the rooms of the house as he had to get the shop repaired and renovated,” they said.
Nisar Ahmad who lost his house in the fire asked government to compensate him immediately on humanitarian basis.
Chairman town welfare committee Awantipora, Mohammad Lateef Bhat, civil society members and other residents of Awantipora have appealed Deputy Commissioner Pulwama to provide immediate relief to the fire victims.
District Administration Pulwama has deputed Tehsildar Awantipora to take stock of the situation and the loss occurred due to the fire.
Meanwhile, Tehsildar Awantipora Zubair Ahmad said that he has visited the spot and assured that affected families would be given compensation soon.