Clashes erupt in Sangam at news of Sabzar’s killing, 3 injured in eyes by pellets

Clashes erupt in Sangam at news of Sabzar’s killing, 3 injured in eyes by pellets
  • 9
    Shares

Anantnag: Three youths sustained pellet injuries to their eyes and another was hit by a bullet in his thigh during clashes with government forces in Sangam area of Anantnag district. The clashes broke out after local militant Sabzar Ahmad Sofi was killed along with a fellow militant from Anantnag in Nowgam area of Srinagar early Wednesday morning.

  • Pellet-injured may lose vision, doctors say
  • Another youth hit by bullet in thigh during clashes
  • Hizb commander Zeenat-ul-Islam along with 6 militants appears at Sabzar’s funeral, gives gun salute
  • Government forces foil JRL’s ‘Kulgam Chalo’, journalists denied entry

A doctor at Sub-District Hospital Bijbehara said that the youths hit by pellets in their eyes may lose their vision.
“We have given them first-aid and shifted them to a Srinagar hospital. They were seriously injured and may lose their eyesight,” the doctor told Kashmir Reader.
The youth with the bullet injury was rushed to Pulwama district hospital.
“One youth with a bullet injury to his thigh has been brought here. He is being treated,” a doctor at the hospital said.
The clashes erupted in Sangam soon after news of the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen district commander Sabzar Sofi and his associate Asif Shergojri started doing rounds.
Sofi was from Sangam area in Anantnag while Gojri was a resident of Khiram area of the district.
Despite the authorities snapping mobile internet services early in the morning, thousands of people reached Sangam and Khiram to pay their tributes to the slain militants and participate in the funeral prayers.
The bodies reached Sangam and Khiram later in the day, following which several rounds of funeral prayers were held for the slain.
In Sangam, more than 7 militants, including Hizb commander Zeenat-ul-Islam, appeared at Sofi’s funeral and offered multiple rounds of gun salute to him.
Meanwhile, a shutdown was already being observed across south Kashmir as the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) had called for a “Kulgam Chalo” march on Wednesday to protest against the civilian killings there on Sunday.
Government forces foiled the march by placing strict restrictions in and around Kulgam town.
Local sources told Kashmir Reader that roads were barricaded and there was heavy deployment of forces in the town and at all its entry points.
“Not even media persons were allowed to enter the town,” a local journalist told Kashmir Reader, adding that people were asked to return regardless of what they were entering the town for.
Mobile internet services had already been snapped in Kulgam district on Sunday and remain suspended there.