Militants kill cop in Shopian, take away his rifle

Militants kill cop in Shopian, take away his rifle
  • 1

Shopian: Suspected militants shot dead a constable inside police station Shopian and fled with his service rifle on Sunday morning. The slain policeman, identified as Saqib Mohiudin Mir, resident of Karewa Shadab village’s Mir-Mohala locality, was recruited as constable last year and had come back from training course in Awantipora in August this year. His family members told Kashmir Reader that Saqib had been posted at Shopian police station just 14 days ago.
Saqib’s younger brother Waseem Ahmad was also working as SPO (special police officer) but recently announced his resignation on social media through a photograph after militants killed three policemen in Shopian district on September 21.
Police sources said that four militants came in an Alto car that stopped near the police station gate at about 7.30 AM. Two among them got down from the car with masks on their faces and knocked on the gate.
“Saqib was on duty as sentry. When he opened the door, the militants barged inside the gate, shot him, and fled with his rifle,” a police source told Kashmir Reader.
Police sources said that soon after the attack a manhunt was launched to nab the assailants, but no trace has been found of them as yet.
Doctors at Sub-District Hospital Shopian said that the policeman was brought dead to the hospital. “He had multiple bullet injuries,” a doctor at the hospital said.
A wreath-laying ceremony for the slain policeman was held at district police lines Shopian in Batpora. South Kashmir police head DIG Amit Kumar, Senior Superintendent of Police Shopian Sandeep Choudhary, and several senior police officers paid floral tribute to the slain. His body was later handed over to his family for last rites.
Eyewitnesses said that a large number of people from Zawoora and Manlo areas attended the funeral prayers. They said the number of mourners was more than three-thousand.
Relatives of Saqib told Kashmir Reader that he is survived by two younger brothers, five elder sisters, and aged parents. They said that all his five sisters are married.
Emotional scenes were witnessed during the funeral where family members, sisters and relatives were seen wailing and beating their chests. The body of Saqib was lowered into earth at his ancestral graveyard in the village.
Since August 29, three incidents of militants killing policemen have taken place in Shopian district. On August 29, four policemen were shot dead at Arhama on the outskirts of Shopian town while they were getting a police vehicle repaired. The militants also took away three service rifles of the slain policemen.
On September 21, a group of militants abducted three policemen from their homes early in the morning and shot them dead nearby in Kapren and Batagund villages. The bodies of the three policemen were found by locals in orchards in nearby Wangam village.
The police statement regarding the incident said, “Militants attacked police station Shopian (but) the attack was repulsed by the alert cops. In the attack a policeman, Ct Saqib Mir, sustained injuries and was evacuated to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. However, the injured cop succumbed to his injuries.”
Meanwhile, internet services in south Kashmir’s Pulwama and Shopian districts remained suspended for the ninth consecutive day on Sunday. Sources in police have said that internet has been suspended to stop circulation of videos and photographs through which policemen were announcing their resignations.