Shutdown in Valley against civilian’s killing

Shutdown in Valley against civilian’s killing
  • 1
    Share

Hizb posters in Bandipora warn those who defy shutdown call

Srinagar: A complete shutdown was observed on Friday across Kashmir Valley in response to the call given by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) to protest against the killing of a civilian by government forces in Srinagar on Thursday.
In Bandipora district, posters issued by Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit appeared at public places warning Sumo taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers, and also shopkeepers, who were not following the shutdown calls of the JRL.
The posters also said that the Hizb was thankful at the way people of Bandipora observed a continuous shutdown over the killing of five militants and likewise, people should boycott the upcoming municipal elections as well.
In south Kashmir, all shops, business establishments and public transport was shut through the day. Thin traffic plied on the main roads but other roads remained deserted all day long.
Similar was the situation in north Kashmir where traffic was off the roads and all shops, business establishments, offices and educational institutions were closed through the day.
The JRL comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik had called for a shutdown and public protests today. The police put Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest and barred Friday congregational prayers at Srinagar’s historic Jamia Masjid. Mohammad Yasin Malik was also detained on Friday morning, while Syed Ali Geelani continued to remain under house arrest.
Government forces had imposed restrictions in many parts of Srinagar where posse of CRPF and policemen armed with sophisticated weapons and riot gear were seen guarding deserted streets, lanes and bylanes.
All shops, offices, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed in Srinagar, reports said. Thin traffic plied on the otherwise busy roads of the capital and the commercial hub of Lal Chowk wore a deserted look.
On Thursday morning, a civilian youth, 26-year-old Muhammad Saleem Malik, was shot dead by government forces during a cordon and search operation (CASO) in Magray Mohalla, Noorbagh.
In central Kashmir, too, a complete shutdown was observed in response to the JRL’s call. All markets, private offices and educational institutions remained closed.
Exams in schools, colleges and varsities scheduled for today had already been postponed by the authorities.