Local militant killed in Sopore village, another still unidentified

Local militant killed in Sopore village, another still unidentified
  • 10

Abdul Mir, 24, had escaped from Bomai police station in June 2018

Sopore: Two militants who were holed up in Tujjar village of Sopore were killed in a gun battle with government forces on Tuesday. One of them has been identified as a local of the same village. The identity of the other still remains unknown.
The slain local militant has been identified as Abdul Majeed Mir, 24, son of Bashir Ahmad Mir. Abdul was arrested in a militancy-related case in 2016 but he escaped from a police station in Bomai village of Sopore in the month of June this year.
One of his relatives told Kashmir Reader that Abdul never returned home after escaping from the police station. “It was continuous police harassment and keeping him behind bars on fabricated charges that made him become a militant,” the relative added.
According to reports, Abdul before joining militancy was pursuing studies outside the state and came back in 2016. The same year he was arrested by police on militancy-related charges.
According to a police officer in Sopore, Abdul Majeed Mir was arrested under FIR number 50 U/S 13 ULA in Bomai police station. “The day he escaped from police station Bomai, it was his court hearing. On returning from the court, when we reached near the police station, he managed to escape by giving the slip to police personnel and jumping over the wall,” the police officer said.
After legal formalities and identification by family members late in the evening, Abdul’s body was handed over to his family.
Late on Monday night, a joint team of army’s 22 RR, police SOG and paramilitary CRPF laid a cordon at Nowpora area of Tujjar village. Police said they had inputs of presence of militants in the area. As the CASO was tightened around a suspected spot, militants hiding there opened fire at the government forces. After a brief exchange of fire during the night, the militants escaped from the spot, but were later trapped in a local graveyard.
As the militants were trapped at another spot, government forces in the wee hours of Tuesday evacuated civilians from the locality. A fresh gunfight began later in the day and two militants holed up in the local graveyard were reportedly killed at Nowpora locality.
Meanwhile, internet services in Sopore and adjacent areas were snapped as soon as the gunfight broke out during the night. Early in the morning, the district administration issued an order that all educational institutions in Sopore had to remain closed for the day.
After the encounter ended, the authorities decided to keep educational institutions shut across Sopore on Wednesday as a precautionary measure. Internet remains suspended in the area.