Srinagar: After multiple denials from the Home Ministry and JK Police, the Jammu and Kashmir government on Tuesday admitted that a “couple” of special police officers (SPOs) had indeed resigned in Kashmir.
J&K Chief Secretary BVR Subrahmanyam termed the killing of three policemen in Shopian last week as “unfortunate” and admitted that a “couple of resignations” had followed the attacks.
He said that compared to the more than 30,000 SPOs in the state, a couple of resignations was a “negligible percentage”.
“All SPO have been instructed about personal security,” he said, adding that a decision announcing “substantial jump” in monthly honorarium of SPOs is expected in the next few days.
The spate of resignations announced by SPOs, often on social media, came after militants stormed into houses of three policemen in Shopian and later shot them dead on September 21. The killings happened days after Hizbul Mujahideen commander Riyaz Naikoo threatened the SPOs, an irregular police force drawing a consolidated wage amounting to Rs 6,000 per month, to quit or face death.
Subrahmanyam claimed that the problems of militancy are restricted to some parts of south Kashmir, and not in “large parts” of north and central Kashmir.
“It (militancy) is concentrated in some parts of south Kashmir alone,” he said.