Bandipora: A day after five families claimed the five slain militants who were killed in this north Kashmir district during a gunfight with government forces; another family on Wednesday approached the district authorities claiming one of the slain militants as their family member.
Deputy Commissioner Bandipora, however, said that seven families have so far claimed bodies of killed militants and two more have approached him over phone.
“Seven families have come forward claiming that the dead militants were their members. These men had left their homes around 8-10 years ago. We will handover bodies to the families after carrying out DNA tests,” Deputy Commissioner Bandipora Shahid Choudhary told Kashmir Reader.
Apart from seven families who have physically come forward, Choudhary said two more families have claimed bodies over the phone, taking the total number of families claiming bodies to seven.
“Two families from Kupwara’s Lolab and Warnow, one each from Ganderbal, Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama have so far approached me seeking custody of the bodies,” SSP Bandipora, Sheikh Zulfikar Azad told Kashmir Reader. Azad said that due to increasing claims they have now asked for DNA samples after which bodies will be handed over to their legal hires.
Additional deputy commissioner Bndipora, Mohammad Qasim, however, said that only five families from Kulgam, Shopian, Kupwara, and Ganderbal have moved the applications so far at his office seeking the custody of the bodies and sixth family from Pulwama has called over phone claiming Parvaiz alias Mawya as their Kin who was first claimed by Kangan family in Ganderbal.
Five militants were killed on Sep 21 in a gunfight with government forces in Bandipora village of Shogbaba area of Sumlar.