Army conducting massive search in Tangdar for militants

Army conducting massive search in Tangdar for militants
  • 1

Clashes in Shopian village during CASO, 6 injured

Mushtaq Ahmad/ Raashid Hassan

Kupwara/ Shopian: The army on Saturday launched a massive Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) along the Line of Control in Tangdar sector in Kupwara district, after detecting suspicious movement of a group of militants.
Official sources said that reinforcements including para-commandos with sniffer dogs have been sent to the area to nab the militants. There has been, however, no contact established as yet with the militants.
Official sources said that the 20 Jat regiment posted at Eagle Post in Tangdar sector detected suspicious movement of a group of militants and launched the CASO to nab them. The army soldiers also fired at several suspected spots but the militants had managed to hide themselves in the dense woods.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kupwara AS Dinkar confirmed to Kashmir Reader that the army launched an operation along the Eagle Post in Tangdar sector. The search operation is still going on, the SSP added.
In south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Saturday, at least six persons were injured with pellets in clashes between civilian protesters and government forces during a CASO in Shirmal village.
Local sources said that at midnight, a joint team of police, army and paramilitary CRPF besieged the village and door-to-door searches were started early in the morning.
Soon, protesters, mostly youth, hit the streets and pelted the government troops with stones to sabotage their operation. The troops retaliated by firing tear gas canisters and pellets, locals said.
They said that at least six persons sustained pellet injures during the clashes, which were still going on when reports last came in. However, their injuries were minor and most of them were treated locally, sources said.
Shirmal village comprises about 250 households and is situated some 500 meters from a major army base at Balpora of the 12 Sector RR and also the Brigade Headquarters.
A police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that it was a routine operation which was called off with no contact established with militants. “Some miscreants pelted stones on security forces but the clashes were contained peacefully,” he said.