Foundation stone of marriage hall missing, Harwan residents smell foul

Foundation stone of marriage hall missing, Harwan residents smell foul
  • 1

SRINAGAR: A missing foundation stone of a proposed marriage hall in Harwan on the outskirts of Srinagar has made the residents suspicious, as no work has been started on the project either after the foundation stone was laid.
In Ramadhan, Janbaz Rahyl, a local resident went to offer the prayers in the morning and was surprised to see heavy deployment of the forces in the area. A backhoe excavator along with other municipal workers was clearing a garbage site.
Later in the day, he said, the then PDP MLA from Sonwar constituency Mohammad Ashraf Mir along with other government officials arrived at the spot and laid the foundation stone for the marriage hall in the area.
“It was garbage dumping site and people also used to park their vehicles. All of a sudden the site was cleared of the garbage and a tent was also installed for the people and other officials,” Rahyl said.
“The backhoe cleared the garbage and dug the ground for foundation of the marriage hall. The MLA along with other officials laid the ceremonial foundation stone and the work was officially started,” he said.
But to the surprise of the residents, the foundation stone “disappeared mysteriously” the same day and the work “never started” after that. The site is again used for dumping garbage and parking vehicles.
Mohallah President Harwan, Bashir Ahmad told Kashmir Reader the work was about to start but Lakes and Waterways Development Authority (LAWDA) had “objected” to the construction.
Aijaz Ahmad Bhat, the then Custodian General J&K told Kashmir Reader clarified that the LAWDA has “not objected” to the construction but the issuance of Non Objection Certificate (NOC) is “under process”.
“The work will be started after the formalities of paperwork would be completed. We are in touch with the LAWDA authorities and they will approve the construction work soon,” Aijaz said.
About the missing foundation stone, Bhat said that it was removed as a “precautionary measure” so that the marble stone would not be damaged by the “miscreants”.
“Since it is a big project the formalities would take almost a year after that the construction work would be started,” Bhat said.