Day-long clashes in Sopore amid shutdown called by JRL

Day-long clashes in Sopore amid shutdown called by JRL
  • 1

Sopore: Amid a complete shutdown observed in Sopore and Zaingeer areas on the call of the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) to protest the killing of Hurriyat activist Hakim-Ul-Rehman Sultani, clashes took place throughout the day between youths and government forces, in which a youth was injured.
Hakim-Ul-Rehman Sultani was killed on September 8 by unknown gunmen in Bomai area of Sopore. Police on Tuesday said that one of the two militants killed in Handwara, Liyaqat Ahmad Lone, was one of three Lashkar militants involved in Sulatni’s killing. The Lashkar denied this and instead blamed police and Indian agencies for the killing.
All business establishments and markets remained closed in Sopre and Zaingeer areas on Friday while public transport was off the roads.
A youth was injured in clashes at Arampora locality of Sopore, the place where two Pakistani Jaish-e-Muhammad militants were killed in a gunfight with government forces on Thursday.
According to reports, scores of youth gathered at Arampora and started shouting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans. Slogans were also raised against the killing of the two Jaish militants in the area.
The protesting youth started throwing stones at forces deployed in the area. The forces, in turn, fired teargas shells at the youth, resulting in injury to one youth.
The injured youth was rushed to Sub-District Hospital Sopore for treatment. The Block Medical Officer (BMO) of Sopore, Dr Sami, confirmed the injury and said that the youth was provided treatment at SDH Sopore and was later discharged.
The injured youth was identified as Zahoor Ahmed, son of Ghulam Mohammad, resident of Sopore.
In view of the shutdown call, authorities had ordered on Thursday that all educational institutions in Sopore division would remain closed as “a precautionary measure” on Friday.
After the Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid Sopore, clashes between protesters and government forces broke out again. According to reports, scores of youth assembled at Teliyan Mohalla in Arampora and started shouting pro-freedom slogans. Within a short time, the large gathering of angry youth started hurling stones on government forces.
The police lobbed teargas shells to disperse the protesters. There were no reports of any injuries in the clashes.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were deployed in large numbers at different places including Main Chowk and Tehsil Road of the town to prevent any law and order problem after the Friday prayers.
Meanwhile, the two Pakistani militants killed in Arampora Sopore were buried on Friday in the graveyard at Gantamulla where non-local militants are buried since 2016.