Liyaqat killed on day of sister’s wedding

Liyaqat killed on day of sister’s wedding
  • 2

Sopore: The killing of Lashkar militant Liyaqat Ahmad Lone took place on the day his sister was getting married, and a day after his brother had got married. The news of the killing made the Lone family announce that his sister’s marriage had been postponed.
Liyaqat, 34, resident of Lone Mohalla at Harwan village of Sopore, was the father of three children. He joined militant ranks in July this year and announced it on social media with a picture of his brandishing an AK-47 rifle. He had gone missing from home in February, soon after he was released from jail after almost two years.
Police in a statement said that Liyaqat was involved in the killing of Hurriyat (G) activist Hakim-Ur-Rehman Sultani in Bomai Sopore two days ago. The police statement also said that Liyaqat had a long history of involvement in terror activities and was wanted in a number of criminal cases registered at Police Station Bomai, including a case of kidnapping and rape of a minor local girl.
Liyaqat was arrested by government forces a few years ago on charges of involvement in militant activities. He spent almost two years in jail. He was released in February this year, soon after which he went missing.
“A day of celebration turned into complete mourning when his family members received the news of Liyaqat’s killing,” a relative of the family said.
Thousands of people poured onto the streets of Harwan village when the body of Liyaqat reached home. Liyaqat’s sister was waiting for her brother’s body with a pot full of candies in her hands that were covered with henna.
Liyaqat’s body arrived wrapped in a green flag on which the Kalma was written. Along with his sister, dozens of women showered candies on his body from balconies and windows of their homes.
Scores of men and women wept as the body was being carried towards its final resting place.
Liyaqat’s younger brother, Javid, who was married yesterday, said, “Liyaqat was our eldest sibling and the most loved one. He always used to help our family but suddenly he left home and never came back.”
Liyaqat was laid to rest in the martyrs’ graveyard of Harwan village, after funeral prayers in which thousands of people participated.