Militant killed in Hazratbal buried amid pro-freedom slogans

Militant killed in Hazratbal buried amid pro-freedom slogans
  • 2

Pulwama: Thousands of people Sunday participated in the funeral prayers of a militant who was shot dead by unknown gunmen at Naseem Bagh, Hazratbal in Srinagar on Saturday at his native village Panzgam in Pulwama district.
The body of Asif Nazir Dar, who police said was affiliated with Zakir Musa-led Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, was handed over to his family members on Saturday night.
Eyewitnesses told Kashmir Reader that thousands of people from villages like Chakoora, Gulzarpora, Dogripora, Reshipora, Padgampora and Charsoo of Awantipora, besides Sangam and Pulwama assembled at Panzgam village on Sunday morning to participate in the funeral prayers.
Pro-freedom and pro-Pakistan slogans were also raised during the funeral procession.
“At least three rounds of funeral prayers were offered for the militant as residents of adjoining villages made a beeline to Panzgam to pay tributes to the slain militant,” a witness said.
Asif had joined militancy in January 2017 and was associated with Ansar Gazwat-ul-Hind, a senior police officer told Kashmir Reader on Saturday.
According to police Asif was earlier an active militant associated with Hizbul Mujahideen (HM), but later defected to Musa-led AGH.
Sources told Kashmir Reader that before joining militancy Asif was a B.Tech student at Model Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jammu.
“Asif’s father Nazir Ahmad Dar is a government employee working in Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) Ltd as officer while his brother Shahid Nazir Dar works in education department as government teacher,” a local resident said adding that another brother, Aqib Nazir Dar, is an MBA student.
Meanwhile, authorities snapped internet services in Pulwama district during night hours and restored it by Sunday afternoon.
Train service in south Kashmir was also suspended as a precautionary measure.
Sources, however, said that no untoward incident happened during the funeral procession and people dispersed peacefully after paying condolences to the family.